Gwennie Inspired Medallion
60 x 69
Basking in the glow of the morning sunrise.
I don't normally make medallion quilts for the same reason I don't normally border quilts - I can never think of what to add for a border.
In May 2016 Lori of Humble Quilts came up with the idea of a Gwen Marston inspired medallion quilt along. Each person would do their own thing make a center medallion and add rounds each month based on a prompt. Ok...I joined in thinking that if I had prompts I might be able to make a medallion.
The center prompt was BASKET. Good. I won a bunch of baskets from Block Lotto so I was ready and off to a good start.
And then the second prompt was CHILDHOOD. Yikes!!
I finally came up with weaving for my childhood prompted round and used some brown fabric that looked like a basket and wove some red, yellow and blue fabrics through it. I really never liked dolls when I was little but preferred books and crafts. One of the crafts I have liked through the years has been weaving starting with those potholder looms with loops that make a worthless potholder. I still have one of those looms. I also still have a small loom that I used to weave belts and a rug (in strips). I have looms that "knit" stocking caps. And I've woven several baskets.
The next prompt was LOG CABIN. So I made little 3 inch quarter log cabins and used the traditional red fabric for the center - red fabric with baskets on it.
Next prompt was STAR. So I made little 3 inch friendship stars from my 1.5 inch scraps and "wove" them in with red/white rail fence blocks. I used any color of scraps for the star backgrounds since there were baskets in many colors in the center.
And then came FISH for a prompt. Fish? Seriously? I finally ended up with blue and white HST waves and some of the blue fabrics even had fish in them. How's that for using the old gray cells?
And then I hand quilted it every which way, this way and that way. (Have you ever seen a lassie go this way and that way?)
And then I used a red basket weave looking fabric for the back.
You may or may not know that I have a wringer washer and not some newfangled washer so wash everything pretty much by hand (by choice). Since I had used a red backing I put the quilt in the washtub with three new color catchers and two old color catchers that hadn't caught any color. I really haven't ever had much of a problem with bleeding but there's always a first time so I'm always a little cautious and go heavy on color catchers. Then what to my wandering eyes should appear but red, red, red, red water. RED. REALLY RED. And the color catchers were RED. REALLY RED. I pulled that quilt out as fast as could be and threw it into the other wash tub and grabbed the Dawn and followed Vicki Welsh's directions to save a bleeding quilt.
Then I hung it out on the line in the freezing cold because it had too much water in it to go in the dryer right away. Quilts don't easily go through the wringer so I just squeeze out as much water as I can. I would have put it on the drying rack in the basement but it had some sweaters drying on it. Anyway...I found out how freeze drying works! After a day on the clothesline in the freezing temps that quilt was stiff as a board. I let it thaw a little and then put it in the dryer.
And there you have it. I made a medallion quilt!